Morning Dew Apiary

Morning Dew Apiary

I started this blog in 2008 as a 1st year beekeeper chronicling my efforts to holistically raise honey bees. This now serves as a diary, allowing a look back upon the successes and failures I've had.
Now in my 4rd season, my postings will continue to explore the latest thoughts and techniques used to raise bees without chemical intervention. I do not claim my methods are best or even correct. My hope is to provide the reader an understanding as to why I try something and to actually see the results. Click on the photos/videos in this blog as I try to describe the joys, trials and tribulations of raising bees treatment-free in New Hampshire.
-John
www.morningdewapiary.com
All materials ©2008, 2009, 2010,2011 John R Snowdon

Sunday, August 31, 2008

"John, I think we have a swarm!"

Now these are not the words I thought I would
hear today. I'm minding my own business staining the barn when I hear Gayla's alert. My first thought was it must be from someone else's hive but Hive 2 was a bit frentic early this morning. It's just that I requeened Hive 1 earlier this week and Hive 2 is making new queens. Both hives have plenty of space, are getting pollen patties and 2:1 syrup. What's up?

Sure enough, there is a swarm 25 - 30' up in a hemlock on the edge of the woods (pic 1). Not having been a very good Boy Scout, I do not own a nuc box. With the condition of both hives being marginal for honey stores, there is no way I can capture this hive and make a nuc using existing stores anyway. These bees never should have swarmed and are doomed...













After unsuccessfully emailing one beek and calling another, I decide this is a job for Super Dolt (pic 2).


Using a pole saw and a big cardboard box, I plan to cut off the limb, let it fall and then put the swarm in the box (pic 3). This all went according to plan, tho' as one is climbing a ladder to saw off a branch full of bees while dressed like a technician on an Apollo moon launch, one does
pause to wonder just when was the moment that you passed over to certifiably insane.













Once the bees were on the ground (pic 4) I found the queen and put her in a cage (pic 5). I sprayed her with syrup and added a couple of attendants while Gayla ran into the house to make a sugar plug. Once plugged, I put the cage and about 5 more attendants into a paper bag and put the bag in a warm spot inside. I then shook the bees into the box and placed the box back in front of Hive 2. The march of the bees began and in about a hour the box was empty and the bees were back in the hive. Several hundred bees remained on the ground where the branch fell. I think these may be nurse bees who have never been out of the hive and can't find their way
home. I put the now empty box upside down over the mass of bees. I think they will move into the top of the box and I will be able to shake them in front of the hive tomorrow.

Now what to do with the queen...






No comments: