Morning Dew Apiary

Morning Dew Apiary

I started this blog in 2008 as a 1st year beekeeper chronicling my efforts to holistically raise honey bees. This now serves as a diary, allowing a look back upon the successes and failures I've had.
Now in my 4rd season, my postings will continue to explore the latest thoughts and techniques used to raise bees without chemical intervention. I do not claim my methods are best or even correct. My hope is to provide the reader an understanding as to why I try something and to actually see the results. Click on the photos/videos in this blog as I try to describe the joys, trials and tribulations of raising bees treatment-free in New Hampshire.
-John
www.morningdewapiary.com
All materials ©2008, 2009, 2010,2011 John R Snowdon

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Building an Ark...



Okay, enough already! We've had 6 straight days of hard rain, the corn is laying on it's side and I'm on vacation. The only good parts about this are I'm not at work, I've added new shelves, organized and cleaned the barn and shed and fertilized the lawn (organically, of course).

The bees cannot be pleased so this morning I fed them. They immediately started to take the syrup so it was worth getting soaked. I really need to inspect the hives but I didn't think they'd like me removing their roof in a rain storm. They have been congregating on the front of the hives the last 2 evenings during breaks in the storm and I'd like to see how they are doing with the super I added to each hive.

While I was sitting on the front porch this afternoon, we had a 20 minute lull in the rain. I noticed a couple of the ladies hanging out on one of the hostas. Watching them, I realized it wasn't just 2 bees but more like 20 coming to drink and then heading back to the hive while others came in to take their place. None of the other plants had a bee on them–just the hosta. Here are a couple of pics of the bees drinking...

No comments: