Morning Dew Apiary

Morning Dew Apiary

I started this blog in 2008 as a 1st year beekeeper chronicling my efforts to holistically raise honey bees. This now serves as a diary, allowing a look back upon the successes and failures I've had.
Now in my 4rd season, my postings will continue to explore the latest thoughts and techniques used to raise bees without chemical intervention. I do not claim my methods are best or even correct. My hope is to provide the reader an understanding as to why I try something and to actually see the results. Click on the photos/videos in this blog as I try to describe the joys, trials and tribulations of raising bees treatment-free in New Hampshire.
-John
www.morningdewapiary.com
All materials ©2008, 2009, 2010,2011 John R Snowdon

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Drifting, anyone?



I've been wondering why Hive 1 is so far ahead of Hive 2. The beeks at beesource.com (a must website for any aspiring beekeeper) have addressed this a couple of times and I believe Hive 2 may be a victim of drifting. Drifting is when you install 2 or more packages at the same time and the bees from one hive move into the other hive before everyone gets settled. This makes great sense to me as Hive 2 has been behind from the beginning.

Hive Notes:
I've left Hive 1 alone for the past 2 weeks and plan to visit it next week. I did open Hive 2 last weekend and found most of 4 frames built out (1st picture). I took the top feeder off and installed an inner cover. I opted to leave the hives alone this week, tho' I did raise the rear of the telescoping top on each hive to help with circulation.

Really looking forward to getting into the hives next weekend to see if I can add a super.

On a personal note, we lost our beautiful German Shepherd, Luke, to cancer last week. Very few things have brought us the joy this phenomenal dog did. We'll cherish our memories of him forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, John. He looked like a great friend!

Keith