Morning Dew Apiary

Morning Dew Apiary

I started this blog in 2008 as a 1st year beekeeper chronicling my efforts to holistically raise honey bees. This now serves as a diary, allowing a look back upon the successes and failures I've had.
Now in my 4rd season, my postings will continue to explore the latest thoughts and techniques used to raise bees without chemical intervention. I do not claim my methods are best or even correct. My hope is to provide the reader an understanding as to why I try something and to actually see the results. Click on the photos/videos in this blog as I try to describe the joys, trials and tribulations of raising bees treatment-free in New Hampshire.
-John
www.morningdewapiary.com
All materials ©2008, 2009, 2010,2011 John R Snowdon

Friday, May 16, 2008

The Calm Before the Storm


Thirty years ago, I wanted to raise honey bees. Three months ago, I finally did something about it. This is very unlike me. Normally, if I want to do something I rush in and start it. Maybe it was because we were still moving around the country, establishing my career, starting a business, raising kids or any number of other excuses. Whatever the reason for the delay, the fun starts tomorrow. Actually, the fun started last February when my wife, Gayla, and I decided we wanted to add honey bees to our yard. Since then, it's been reading everything we can about bees –including countless hours on beesource.com– painting one polystyrene hive then deciding to add another, taking bee classes (an absolute must if you want to do this), deciding to try one hive small cell on Mann Lake PF100s and another on Pierco waxed deeps, building a platform to help the ladies defend themselves against critters, choosing a site that will work for the bees AND our yard, adding a solar electric fence to keep out our local 400lb bear and today, making 6 gallons of 1:1 syrup. I must admit, I have not enjoyed getting ready for anything as much as I have preparing for tomorrow. I just hope I don't let down the 25,000 bees we pick up in the morning. Tomorrow the fun really begins!

No comments: